🎉   Welcome to our new web site!   🎉

For the next 30 days, we’re providing free access to non-subscribers so you can see what we have to offer. And if you subscribe by June 1, you’ll get a 25% discount on your subscription! We hope you’ll like what you see and want to support local media.

Douglas County

Man shot by Douglas County deputy in Littleton identified, faces assault charge


A man shot and wounded by a Douglas County Sheriff's Office deputy on the southern edge of Littleton, near Highlands Ranch, on May 12, has been released from the hospital and faces a charge of first-degree assault on a peace officer.

Deyon Marcus Rivas-Maestas, 25, was shot in the arm by Deputy Brad Proulx. Footage from Proulx's body-worn camera shows Rivas-Maestas step out of a white GMC Yukon SUV with an AR-15 rifle just before being shot by the deputy.

"The situation elevated quite quickly," Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Steve Johnson said at a press conference in Littleton on May 17, at which the footage was shown.

The Littleton Police Department is investigating Rivas-Maestas' alleged attack on Proulx, while the 18th Judicial District's critical response team is responsible for the use-of-force investigation.

The shooting occurred at about 6:45 p.m. at the intersection of Santa Fe Drive and County Line Road. Proulx was on patrol when he happened along the SUV, stopped alongside Santa Fe and partially in the roadway. Proulx first approached the passenger side of the vehicle before coming around the back to the driver side, where he encountered Rivas-Maestas, who had stepped out of the driver's seat.

After being shot, Rivas-Maestas dropped the rifle and fled to an area in front of the SUV, and can be heard on video screaming and possibly yelling for Proulx to shoot him. The rifle was unloaded and did not have a magazine in it, but neither Littleton Police Chief Doug Stephens nor Johnson would not say whether it is beleived to be a suicide-by-cop attempt.

Stephens said he was not sure where Rivas-Maestas is from, and said that he does not appear to have an extensive criminal record, although he has one arrest for obstruction of justice. He was released from the hospital on May 17 and transported to the Douglas County jail, where he is being held on $50,000 bond.

Proulx, who has been with the department for eight years, has been placed on paid leave, as is standard procedure.

"I think I speak for every law enforcement officer, when you hear 'shots fired, shots fired' and you're out there, it's the worst feeling you can have," Johnson said.

To see the body-cam footage, click here


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.